Day 16 - Deacons
Scripture for Reflection and Preparation
Philippians 2:5-8 “5 Make your own attitude that of Christ Jesus, 6 who, existing in the form of God, did not consider equality with God as something to be used for His own advantage. 7 instead He emptied Himself by assuming the form of a slave, taking on the likeness of men. and when He had come as a man in His external form, 8 He humbled Himself by becoming obedient to the point of death—even to death on a cross.”
1 Timothy 3:8-13 “8 Deacons, likewise, should be worthy of respect, not hypocritical, not drinking a lot of wine, not greedy for money, 9 holding the mystery of the faith with a clear conscience. 10 and they must also be tested first; if they prove blameless, then they can serve as deacons. 11 Wives, too, must be worthy of respect, not slanderers, self-controlled, faithful in everything. 12 Deacons must be husbands of one wife, managing their children and their own households competently. 13 For those who have served well as deacons acquire a good standing for themselves, and great boldness in the faith that is in Christ Jesus.”
additional Scripture Acts 6:3-4, 7
prayer for revival among Church leadership
Effective deacon ministry must be Spirit-empowered.
• Praise God for who He is
• Confess your sinfulness and need for cleansing
• Allow His Spirit to draw you near
• Listen as He speaks to you
Ask God to...
• Fill each deacon with His Holy Spirit
• Remind every deacon of His great love for them
• Help them to see hindrances in their lives to their work with Him
• Help them understand how important they are for the health of the church
• Give them a deep thirst for the things of God
• Give them great wisdom as they minister to the church family
• Surround them and their families with His protecting angels
Leave a Reply.
Borrowed and Modified from North American Mission Board.