Amos: Readings and the Thoughts that followed
Amos 1:1 ~ "The words of Amos, who was among the shepherds of Tekoa, which he saw concerning Israel in the days of Uzziah king of Judah and in the days of Jeroboam the son of Joash, king of Israel, two years before the earthquake."
- God sent His word to a man hanging out with shepherds, maybe he was in training, but he was among them, but not one of them.
- Shepherds were not in an admirable job status during these times.
- Yet, God chose Amos to be His message deliverer.
- God an and all use the unexpected and do unexpected things with them. 9/29/18
Amos 2:7a ~ "those who trample the head of the poor into the dust of the earth and turn aside the way of the afflicted"
- Over and over God and His word tells us to care for those who are poor, oppressed, or helpless.
- Really, if you are in a place where you can help somebody who isn't as well off as you, YOU should help them.
- Think about the parable of the "Good Samaritan," the one who is most like God and Jesus is the one who takes action and helps the broken and afflicted.
- We should NEVER add to somebody's affliction. 9/30/18
Amos 3:8 ~ "The lion has roared; who will not fear? The Lord God has spoken; who can but prophesy?”
- When God speaks to His people, they move.
- Read the Bible and let it move you toward action and obedience. 10/1/18
Amos 4:1 ~ "“Hear this word, you cows of Bashan, who are on the mountain of Samaria, who oppress the poor, who crush the needy, who say to your husbands, ‘Bring, that we may drink!’"
- Again, we are shown that it is a bad thing to oppress the bruised and broken.
- Anytime we participate in oppression we are practicing selfishness.
- If you are living life for you, then by all means this is expected, but if you are Loving God and Loving People get rid of selfishness. 10/2/18
Amos 5:21 ~ “I hate, I despise your feasts, and I take no delight in your solemn assemblies."
- It is not about doing a list of things to be on the "good side" of God. He cares about the condition of your heart. 1/9/18
Amos 5:24 ~ "But let justice roll down like waters, and righteousness like an ever-flowing stream."
- God is just.
- We should mimic His ways and shower people with justice.
- Don't watch injustice happen. 10/3/18
Amos 6:1 ~ "“Woe to those who are at ease in Zion, and to those who feel secure on the mountain of Samaria, the notable men of the first of the nations, to whom the house of Israel comes!"
- Don't get too comfortable with how you approach or treat God.
- He is still God, and worthy of respect, fear and honor. 10/4/18
Amos 7:8 ~ "And the Lord said to me, “Amos, what do you see?” And I said, “A plumb line.” Then the Lord said, “Behold, I am setting a plumb line in the midst of my people Israel; I will never again pass by them"
- Do you line up with God's standard? 10/5/18
Amos 8:11 ~ “Behold, the days are coming,” declares the Lord God, “when I will send a famine on the land— not a famine of bread, nor a thirst for water, but of hearing the words of the Lord."
- Thank you, God, for Your Word!!! 10/8/18
Amos 9:11 ~ “In that day I will raise up the booth of David that is fallen and repair its breaches, and raise up its ruins and rebuild it as in the days of old"
- There is hope for God's people. 10/10/18
Old Testament Books
New Testament Books