Micah: Readings and the Thoughts that followed
Micah 1:2 ~ "Hear, you peoples, all of you; pay attention, O earth, and all that is in it, and let the Lord God be a witness against you, the Lord from his holy temple."
- It's not something we like to think about, but consider that God is sitting as Judge AGAINST us. Before we became followers of Jesus all of our deeds were condemning us in the eyes of a perfectly holy God.
- From time to time is helps me to sit back and think about that. He is awesome and I am not. He has the right to every cell that makes up my body, to use however He would choose. And I should always be 100% good with Him doing so 12/9/17
Micah 1:3 ~ "For behold, the Lord is coming out of his place, and will come down and tread upon the high places of the earth."
- God is so infinitely bigger than anything we emphasize that we really can't imagine it.
- But, He walks across mountains like they're stepping stones in a pathway.
- Doing so He tramples anything we would try to compare or replace Him with. 5/23/18
Micah 1:4 ~ "And the mountains will melt under him, and the valleys will split open, like wax before the fire, like waters poured down a steep place."
- We need to gain a better understanding of just how infinitely powerful our God is.
- There is nothing on earth that can come close to competing with Him.
- He melts mountains. 5/25/18
Micah 2:11 ~ "If a man should go about and utter wind and lies, saying, “I will preach to you of wine and strong drink,” he would be the preacher for this people!"
- What sort of preaching have you bought into?
- Is it sound teaching, or have you found a man who is pleasing to your ears, but against the words of the Gospel? 8/29/18
Micah 3:1-2 ~ "Is it not for you to know justice?— you who hate the good and love the evil"
- Do not expect because you "know God" that you are immune from His justice.
- Nor are we above His discipline.
- We have submitted to Him and His authority, therefore we are more likely to be disciplined by Him.
- Practice righteousness. 8/30/18
Micah 3:4 ~ "Then they will cry to the Lord, but he will not answer them; he will hide his face from them at that time, because they have made their deeds evil."
- This verse in context is written about the false prophets and evil rulers of the time period.
- But, it would seem that we do not have unlimited chances to work evil and return to Him. 5/21/18
Micah 3:5 ~ "Thus says the Lord concerning the prophets who lead my people astray, who cry “Peace” when they have something to eat, but declare war against him who puts nothing into their mouths."
- What is the message behind the pastor's message? Is it building up God's kingdom, or is it building up his kingdom?
- Weigh everything said by somebody explaining or teaching God's word. Everything.
- If what is said isn't matching up with the God of the Bible, it's probably because it's not from the God of the Bible. 5/24/18
Micah 4:3 ~ "He shall judge between many peoples, and shall decide disputes for strong nations far away; and they shall beat their swords into plowshares, and their spears into pruning hooks; nation shall not lift up sword against nation, neither shall they learn war anymore"
- One day.
- This is what we have to look forward to. A day when there will be no war, because He is the only kingdom and His are the only people. 5/22/18
Micah 4:5 ~ "For all the peoples walk each in the name of its god, but we will walk in the name of the Lord our God forever and ever."
- Do not be distracted by the actions, worship or praise of others.
- If you know the truth, cling to it and show it to others. 5/18/18
Micah 4:12 ~ "But they do not know the thoughts of the Lord; they do not understand his plan, that he has gathered them as sheaves to the threshing floor."
- We don't know God's mind.
- What looks to us to be a disaster, He can turn around for our salvation.
- Look at the stories of Joseph, Job, and Jesus.
- We see a very near-sighted plan, but he is working with an eternal-sighted plan. 8/31/18
Micah 5:2 ~ "But you, O Bethlehem Ephrathah, who are too little to be among the clans of Judah, from you shall come forth for me one who is to be ruler in Israel, whose coming forth is from of old, from ancient days."
- The prophecies made about Jesus are astonishing.
- God always had, always has and always WILL have a plan! 5/16/18
Micah 5:15 ~ "And in anger and wrath I will execute vengeance on the nations that did not obey."
- God demands and requires OBEDIENCE.
- It's not optional, nor is it an A La Carte menu to pick and choose when to be obedient. 9/1/18
Micah 6:6 ~ “With what shall I come before the Lord, and bow myself before God on high? Shall I come before him with burnt offerings, with calves a year old?"
- We get caught up in traditions and what we can give to God.
- Remember the widow's 2 small copper coins, (Luke 21:1-4) Jesus looks at the heart of the gift.
- The gift itself is already His, and if He ever wanted it He could take it whenever He pleases. 5/20/18
Micah 6:7 ~ "Will the Lord be pleased with thousands of rams, with ten thousands of rivers of oil? Shall I give my firstborn for my transgression, the fruit of my body for the sin of my soul?”
- It's not about us.
- We want it to be about us and what we can do to achieve this wonderful gift He has offered us, but we can't.
- There are 2 reasons why we can't:
- 1- we literally aren't able to live up to the standard.
- 2- He gave it through Jesus, not through us.
- 1- we literally aren't able to live up to the standard.
- Don't try to earn forgiveness and salvation through your own grand gestures, Jesus already performed the GRAND GESTURE. 5/18/18
Micah 6:8 ~ "He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the Lord require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?"
- We have severely over complicated God's expectations.
- Love God, Love People.
- Or, as in this verse, do justice, love kinds, and walk humbly. 5/14/18
Micah 6:11 ~ "Shall I acquit the man with wicked scales and with a bag of deceitful weights?"
- Don't take advantage of people. God's word not mine.
- To take advantage of somebody who is trusting you to act honorably is an outrage against God.
- Believers should never do this. 9/2/18
Micah 7:7 ~ "But as for me, I will look to the Lord; I will wait for the God of my salvation; my God will hear me."
- The verses before this Micah discussed not placing trust in people.
- He's right on.
- Look to and wait for God. 9/3/18
Micah 7:18 ~ "Who is a God like you, pardoning iniquity and passing over transgression for the remnant of his inheritance? He does not retain his anger forever, because he delights in steadfast love."
- Whenever I hear somebody complain about "the God of the Old Testament" being angry, wrathful, etc... I'm always puzzled.
- Time and again Old Testament writers write about the mercy, forgiveness, and grace God gave.
- Perhaps the people of the had more of an appreciation for their sin and how much the forgiveness of God would cost Him. 5/19/18
Old Testament Books
New Testament Books