1 John: Readings and the Thoughts that followed
1 John 1:6 ~ "If we say we have fellowship with him while we walk in darkness, we lie and do not practice the truth."
- You can't talk about following Jesus and not actually be following Him.
- It is a lot better to not even claim to be a follower than to try to fake it.
- You are lying to yourself, which is most dangerous because you're the one who will lose the most in the end. 9/4/18
1 John 1:9 ~ "If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness."
- We can't do anything about our sin.
- This is a very hard lesson to learn, but it is something we must give over to Jesus and allow Him to do His work. 2/6/18
1 John 2:6 ~ "whoever says he abides in him ought to walk in the same way in which he walked."
- It's a simple test: if you abide in Jesus you will be doing the things He did.
- If you have to make excuses or reasons you don't walk like He did, then you probably aren't abiding in Him.
- But, this is more than a self check-up.
- Are the members of your church who are claiming Jesus, walking like Jesus did?
- Believers should always be held to a higher standard than non believers, so don't let a believer walk differently than Jesus an not approach them about their hypocrisy. 9/5/18
1 John 3:6 ~ "No one who abides in him keeps on sinning; no one who keeps on sinning has either seen him or known him."
- Do you know Jesus?
- Have you accepted him as Savior AND Lord?
- Nobody who is walking in Christ is seeking out sin, incompatible and not happening. 9/6/18
1 John 3:16 ~ "By this we know love, that he laid down his life for us, and we ought to lay down our lives for the brothers."
- It is very simple and repeated over and over again throughout the Bible.
- Love God and Love People.
- It's the heart of all the commandments. 9/7/18
1 John 4:4 ~ "Little children, you are from God and have overcome them, for he who is in you is greater than he who is in the world."
- We don't give the Holy Spirit enough credit for the power He has.
- He is greater than anything we will ever face. 9/8/18
1 John 4:11 ~ "Beloved, if God so loved us, we also ought to love one another."
- If anybody has a reason not to love someone it's God.
- He made a perfect creation and left it under our care, for Him to help us govern it.
- All He asked was for our obedience in governing, but we didn't give it.
- Instead we wrecked His creation, ripping people from Him and He had to sacrifice to bring us back.
- Even after His sacrifice we continue to rebel against Him.
- AND YET, He still loves us.
- Go love somebody today. 9/9/18
1 John 5:3 ~ "For this is the love of God, that we keep his commandments. And his commandments are not burdensome."
- If you are truly saved, you will not be chasing sin.
- You will pursue God's commandments, if you aren't pursuing God and His Commands then you likely are not actually saved.
- When you are keeping His commandments you aren't burdened by them, but instead you are at peace and content.
- If this verse doesn't describe you, please do a very deep and serious self-check if you are actually a believer. 9/10/18
Old Testament Books
New Testament Books