John: Readings and the Thoughts that followed
John 1:1 ~ "In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God."
- The Word is explained as Jesus Christ in the next verses. Jesus was with God in the beginning, He was not created.
- God back and look at Genesis 1:26 and God says, "Let us make man in our image." (emphasis added)
- Jesus didn't come to be as the little baby born to Mary, He Was, He Is, He Will Be.
- Or as He said, "I AM." 1/28/18
John 1:3 ~ "All things were made through him, and without him was not any thing made that was made."
- Jesus is quite literally the Word of God in a human body.
- Jesus was with God in the beginning when earth was created.
- As creator He has power and authority over His creation. 4/14/18
John 1:7 ~ "He came as a witness, to bear witness about the light, that all might believe through him."
- Jesus, put the Word of God into a living example for us to see what following God looks like.
- And, His example was IMPRESSIVE. More than that, it was earth changing.
- He was the witness about light and truth, but men loved darkness instead of the light. (John 3:19)
John 1:9 ~ "The true light, which gives light to everyone, was coming into the world."
- Jesus came to allow everybody to see the truth. That does not mean that everybody acknowledges Him as truth, but He gives them the opportunity to do so.
- It's up to us to let the world know about the Light. 2/20/18
John 1:12 ~ "But to all who did receive him, who believed in his name, he gave the right to become children of God"
- Don'y miss the obvious... "Him," "His," and He.
- The focus is not on your nor me, but it's all about HIM!!! 2/18/18
John 1:14 ~ "And the Word became flesh and dwelt among us, and we have seen his glory, glory as of the only Son from the Father, full of grace and truth."
- This verse goes really well when read after John 1:1.
- God's word took a human form, to live out the standard God set.
- He didn't have to do this, but He chose to accept the limitations of man in order to provide salvation for us. 2/28/18
John 1:29 ~ "The next day he saw Jesus coming toward him, and said, “Behold, the Lamb of God, who takes away the sin of the world!"
- If He can take away the sin of the entire world, surely He can handle yours. 4/10/18
John 2:15 ~ "And making a whip of cords, he drove them all out of the temple, with the sheep and oxen. And he poured out the coins of the money-changers and overturned their tables."
- Jesus took the time to make a whip, before He showed His anger at the people around Him.
- This was not Jesus flying off the handle, but it was His example of appropriate use of righteous anger.
- Appropriate... Controlled... Righteous... Anger
John 3:3 ~ "Jesus answered him, “Truly, truly, I say to you, unless one is born again he cannot see the kingdom of God.”"
- We are born slaves. Slaves to instinct, passions, and desires... Sin.
- Nobody who is in captivity to sin can gain eternal life. It is only the ones who leave that bondage and become servants of a new master... Jesus.
- And Jesus is a much more kind servant than our former master. 2/26/18
John 3:5 ~ "Jesus answered, “Truly, truly, I say to you, unless one is born of water and the Spirit, he cannot enter the kingdom of God."
- Jesus was very clear and consistent in His teachings.
- Clearly you must be born again to inherit eternal life WITH God. 4/8/18
John 3:16 ~ “For God so loved the world, that he gave his only Son, that whoever believes in him should not perish but have eternal life."
- Probably the most famous verse of the Bible, perhaps so used that we ignore it now.
- God loves us.
- He made great sacrifices for us.
- Believe in Him.
- Eternal life will be granted.
- It's so simply, but so profound. 2/12/18
John 4:7 ~ "A woman from Samaria came to draw water. Jesus said to her, “Give me a drink.”
John 4:24 ~ "God is spirit, and those who worship him must worship in spirit and truth.”
- Don't have so much emphasis on the traditions and aspects of "playing church."
- God is truly worshiped based on the heart of the worshiper. 3/26/18
John 5:24 ~ "Truly, truly, I say to you, whoever hears my word and believes him who sent me has eternal life. He does not come into judgment, but has passed from death to life."
- So Simple and what Great news!!! 5/6/18
John 8:32 ~ "and you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free.”
- The verse before tells what we must do to know the truth. Abide in the words of Jesus.
- Jesus is the truth and He frees us from sin, but many don't realize they aren't free.
- Go tell them. 3/20/18
John 8:44 ~ "You are of your father the devil, and your will is to do your father's desires. He was a murderer from the beginning, and does not stand in the truth, because there is no truth in him. When he lies, he speaks out of his own character, for he is a liar and the father of lies."
- It's really simple. When Satan opens his mouth a lie comes out.
- He desires to corrupt the things God created, including you and me.
- Satan+open mouth=lies 4/25/18
John 10:10 ~ "The thief comes only to steal and kill and destroy. I came that they may have life and have it abundantly."
- How many times does Jesus have to tell and show us that He is working for our best interest before we believe Him?
- This may not be what we consider "our best interest," but ultimately He is working for our good.
- It just may take a while before we understand it. 2/27/18
John 13:34 ~ "A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another: just as I have loved you, you also are to love one another."
- It's easy to talk about, but much harder to do.
- If you follow Jesus, you will do what he said and did.
- And, He Loved Big.
- Let's do the same. 3/25/18
John 14:1 ~ "Let not your hearts be troubled. Believe in God; believe also in me."
- Jesus deserves and demands our faith. It's not optional, it's fully required. 3/7/18
John 14:6 ~ "Jesus said to him, “I am the way, and the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me.""
- Another of the most famous verses in the Bible, and it is also very clear.
- If you want a relationship with Goad and eternal life with Him, Jesus is the answer you are looking for. 2/13/18
John 14:15 ~ “If you love me, you will keep my commandments."
- A common thing today is for "Christians" to want to avoid hell, but ignore the commands of Jesus.
- It doesn't work that way. He becomes your Savior and LORD, there isn't a menu to choose what you like about Jesus.
- If you love Him, you will do what He said. 3/22/18
John 14:16 ~ "And I will ask the Father, and he will give you another Helper, to be with you forever"
- The Holy Spirit is often left out of the conversation when we talk about God and Jesus.
- But every time Jesus spoke of Him, Jesus placed great importance to the work the Holy Spirit would be doing.
- We need to rely more on the Holy Spirit to do His job, and work along with Him. 4/2/18
John 14:26 ~ " But the Helper, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in my name, he will teach you all things and bring to your remembrance all that I have said to you."
- Don't let fear of messing up stop you from witnessing or defending your faith.
- Trust God and the Holy Spirit to help you through it. 5/5/18
John 16:13 ~" When the Spirit of truth comes, he will guide you into all the truth, for he will not speak on his own authority, but whatever he hears he will speak, and he will declare to you the things that are to come."
- The Trinity is hard to understand, but even without understanding it fully we can learn a great deal.
- God, Jesus, nor the His Spirit claims superiority in their relationship.
- Instead, they all point to the other two as more significant than themselves. We should follow their example much more than we do. 4/22/18
John 17:17 ~ "Sanctify them in the truth; your word is truth."
- If you desperately want and are searching for truth, go to the Bible.
- God only speaks in truth, and you will not be disappointed. 5/15/18
Old Testament Books
New Testament Books