Proverbs: Readings and the Thoughts that followed
Proverbs 1:5 "Let the wise hear and increase in learning, and the one who understands obtain guidance,"
- Part of being wise and understanding is the realization of how much you don't know.
- Only in ignorance can someone believe to be beyond learning.
- Stay humble, learn more daily. 7/1/2018
Proverbs 1:7 ~ "The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge; fools despise wisdom and instruction."
- Having a lack of appreciation for who God is and what He is able to do (anything He wants) can lead us to really misunderstand or remain ignorant of the meaning of things.
- God's glory. That's the meaning of things.
- Understadning and having a fear of God only increases your ability to bring Him glory.
- Don't be a fool. 5/31/18
Proverbs 1:32 ~ "For the simple are killed by their turning away, and the complacency of fools destroys them"
- Obviously turning away from wisdom and God's direction will ruin you.
- But take note of the second half, COMPLACENCY also leads to destruction.
- Don't be content remaining in your foolish ways, chase God and His ways. 8/1/18
Proverbs 2:4 ~ "if you seek it like silver and search for it as for hidden treasures"
- "It" is wisdom and understanding.
- Think about the gold rush and how men would leave everything in the hopes of finding just a little of the hidden treasure.
- How different would our lives be if we sought wisdom with the same ferocity we seek after wealth, or hidden treasures? 7/2/2018
Proverbs 2:5 ~ "For the upright will inhabit the land, and those with integrity will remain in it"
- Be honorable.
- There are very few people who lose the respect of their community by being upright and having integrity.
- It pays to be both, but it's hard. 8/2/18
Proverbs 3:5 ~ "Trust in the Lord with all your heart, and do not lean on your own understanding."
- It's not easy, but it's better.
- We can mess it up, He can't.
Proverbs 3:7 ~ "Be not wise in your own eyes; fear the Lord, and turn away from evil."
- It is so easy to get caught up in our own knowledge and understanding of situations around us.
- Especially when things get a little difficult, we are so quick to justify ourselves.
- The bottom line is, fear Him, and if that fear isn't enough, go research why you should fear God. 7/3/18
Proverbs 3:9 ~ "Honor the Lord with your wealth and with the firstfruits of all your produce"
- God gave it to us, and we need to point people to Him with everything He gives to us.
- It should be a continuous cycle: God gives to us, we honor God with the gift, and on and on. 6/16/18
Proverbs 3:11-12 ~ "My son, do not despise the Lord's discipline or be weary of his reproof, for the Lord reproves him whom he loves, as a father the son in whom he delights."
- Not saying you have to like His discipline.
- But, people who are being corrected at the people who are expected to change and improve.
- Perhaps the bigger concern is when you're not being disciplined... 8/3/18
Proverbs 4:8 ~ "Prize her highly, and she will exalt you; she will honor you if you embrace her."
- She is wisdom.
- I don't know many people who were ruined because they were wise...
- It might pay to consider that, and the payment could be in numerous forms. 8/4/18
Proverbs 4:18 ~ "But the path of the righteous is like the light of dawn, which shines brighter and brighter until full day."
- If you walk in righteousness you can't stop being noticeably different from he rest of the people around you.
- Walking with God will draw attention to you and God, which is the ultimate goal.
- Not all of this attention will be positive, but again it's not about us. It is about HIM. 7/4/18
Proverbs 4:23 ~ “Keep your heart with all vigilance, for from it flow the springs of life.”
- Easy to say and easy to believe, but much harder to stay focused on. 6/2/18
Proverbs 5:8 ~ "Keep your way far from her, and do not go near the door of her house"
- Do not go near people, places or things that tempt you.
- Here the temptation is the forbidden woman.
- Don't even go her street.
- In doing so you can avoid ruin. 8/5/18
Proverbs 5:15 ~ "Drink water from your own cistern, flowing water from your own well."
- If you already have a wife or husband, you should remain loyal to them.
- If you aren't married, but plan to be one day, you should be commit to being loyal to them, even now.
- If you don't plan to get married, you should be loyal to God. 7/5/18
Proverbs 6:6 ~ "Go to the ant, O sluggard; consider her ways, and be wise."
- When you are being lazy, your are probably in the wrong from he very beginning.
- You are much more likely to be in the right when you are hard at work. 8/6/18
Proverbs 6:32 ~ "He who commits adultery lacks sense; he who does it destroys himself."
- There are so many things that you have to do wrong to commit adultery.
- You are breaking a promise to your spouse, you are being dishonest.
- Likely you would be forced to sneak to do this.
- And, even on a secular level, most people feel very strongly about adultery. You reputation would die. 7/6/18
Proverbs 7:1 ~ "My son, keep my words and treasure up my commandments with you"
- What kind of words are you passing down to your children?
- Are you words hollow and lacking any kind of meaning?
- Are you relying on somebody else to share wisdom with your children?
- Don't. It's your responsibility, and its not something you want to leave in the hands of others. 7/7/18
Proverbs 7:2 ~ "keep my commandments and live; keep my teaching as the apple of your eye"
- Growing up in a godly home I was taught so many good things.
- I kept a lot of them, but ignored others.
- Looking back it is very easy to see that those I ignored would have greatly helped me.
- Now, I get to try to figure out how to teach my own children to hold to biblical teaching better than I did. 8/7/18
Proverbs 8:1 ~ "Does not wisdom call? Does not understanding raise her voice?"
- Wisdom is calling. Why aren't you hearing her?
- Are you ignoring her? Are you distracted? Is she being drowned out by other voices? 8/8/18
Proverbs 8:13 ~ "The fear of the Lord is hatred of evil"
- First of all, the more I understand about God, the more I realize I still don't know about God.
- He is infinitely greater than what we can discover in our lifetime and our minds can comprehend.
- But, the more we learn about God the more we really how much He hates sin and evil.
- If God hates it, we should hate it. 7/8/18
Proverbs 9:8 ~ "Do not reprove a scoffer, or he will hate you; reprove a wise man, and he will love you."
- Sometimes you won't know which type of person he or she is until after you give correction, but this saying is so true.
- Wise people want to be given correction to improve from, and will even thank you for it.
- The scoffer, on the other hand, will explain to you why what he did was correct, and your misunderstanding of it.
- The final question is which of these are you? 7/9/18
Proverbs 9:10 ~ "The fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom, and the knowledge of the Holy One is insight."
- If you don't have a fear of the Lord you can't put the world into proper perspective.
- Dig into God, and learn more about Him to start your journey to wisdom and understanding. 8/9/18
Proverbs 10:1 ~ "A wise son makes a glad father, but a foolish son is a sorrow to his mother."
- I don't think anybody really wants to disappoint either of their parents. We do throughout our life, but I think very few of us take pleasure in it.
- Which are you? The wise child that bring joy to your parents (and also God), or the foolish child who is the constant worry and sorrow to their parents?
- How are you raising your children? Do you put an emphasis on their wisdom?
- If you aren't raising your children to search for wisdom, you are setting yourself (and your child) up for sorrow. 7/10/18
Proverbs 10:5 ~ "He who gathers in summer is a prudent son, but he who sleeps in harvest is a son who brings shame."
- There is a time for rest and play, but there is a more important time to work.
- Don't waste work hours. 8/10/18
Proverbs 11:1 ~ "A false balance is an abomination to the Lord, but a just weight is his delight."
- Cheating somebody of money, product, or labor is a horrible thing.
- The idea here is a man buying and selling goods have, not just an inaccurate scale, but a scale that is tipped in their favor.
- They are knowingly cheating people and are an abomination.
- Justice is God's delight, therefore practice it. 7/11/18
Proverbs 11:22 ~ "Like a gold ring in a pig's snout is a beautiful woman without discretion."
- You can look at this 2 ways.
- Either the beauty of women is ruined by her lack of discretion
- Or, even something valuable can be ruined by poor use of it. 8/11/18
Proverbs 12:1 ~ "Whoever loves discipline loves knowledge, but he who hates reproof is stupid."
- It is a strange thing to say we should love discipline.
- I have never been a huge fan of correction, but as I get older I realize that is about the only way for me to improve.
- We don't change much about ourselves if nobody ever offers us correction.
- We keep right in our habits and patterns, chugging along without thinking about it.
- But to desire somebody to point out the flaws we make, that if changed could make us better, that's what we should love
- Love the people who care enough about you to tell you when you've messed up, and become a better follower from their correction. 7/12/18
Proverbs 12:5 ~ "The thoughts of the righteous are just; the counsels of the wicked are deceitful."
- Don't only be concerned with which type of advice you are receiving...
- But, which type of advice are you giving to people? 8/12/18
Proverbs 12:22- "Lying lips are an abomination to the LORD, but those who act faithfully are his delight..."
- Enough said... 2/24/12
Proverbs 13:3 ~ "Whoever guards his mouth preserves his life; he who opens wide his lips comes to ruin."
- A verse that speaks directly to me.
- I catch myself continually saying too much and talking about anything and everything.
- Afterward, during reflection, I will recall the things I've said throughout the day and almost be horrified at the things that come out of my mouth when I'm joking around.
- God, help me to guard my words and keep my mouth closed. 7/13/18
Proverbs 13:25 ~ "The righteous has enough to satisfy his appetite, but the belly of the wicked suffers want."
- Are you content with what you have, or are you craving more?
- The closer you get to Jesus the more you realize He is all you need and things are not as important. 8/13/18
Proverbs 14:4 ~ "Where there are no oxen, the manger is clean, but abundant crops come by the strength of the ox."
- The ox does make a mess which requires work, but without him there is no food.
- Don't complain about working hard or working extra, instead be thankful for the work, and the ability to work hard.
- Plus, if you're doing everything to bring honor to Him, you're probably going to need to work harder anyway. 7/14/18
Proverbs 14:12 "There is a way that seems right to a man, but its end is the way to death."
- We don't/can't see the whole picture. We are making decisions based on what we see and know.
- God sees the entire situation, and is much more capable of leading us... if we'll listen. 8/14/18
Proverbs 15:1 ~ "A soft answer turns away wrath, but a harsh word stirs up anger."
- "You can catch more flies with honey, than with vinegar."
- If you want to start a fight it's easy to do so, just go in with harsh words.
- If you like a challenge go in with soft words to avoid the conflict. 6/14/18
Proverbs 15:8 ~ "The sacrifice of the wicked is an abomination to the Lord, but the prayer of the upright is acceptable to him."
- The attempt to do good actions by a wicked person disgusts God.
- Prayer given by His people is better.
- His people need to pray. 8/15/18
Proverbs 15:23 ~ "To make an apt answer is a joy to a man, and a word in season, how good it is!"
- In order to give an appropriate answer to somebody you must...
- Be close enough to them to know their problem/struggle.
- And, Listen to them to understand what it is they are saying.
- Finally, be in step with the Holy Spirit so He can guide your words through scripture. 7/15/18
Proverbs 16:3 ~ "Commit your work to the Lord, and your plans will be established."
- Very similar to Colossians 3:17. If you are using your time to do it, make it about God.
- If you can't make your work about God, because it's against what He commands... DON'T DO IT. 6/11/18
Proverbs 16:8 ~ "Better is a little with righteousness than great revenues with injustice."
- It is better to be righteous (acting in an upright, moral way; virtuous) than to practice injustice and have all the money in the world.
- See Matthew 16:26 for more on this idea. 8/16/18
Proverbs 16:9 ~ "The heart of man plans his way, but the Lord establishes his steps."
- We plan, but God directs. 6/12/18
Proverbs 16:18 ~ "Pride goes before destruction, and a haughty spirit before a fall."
- And the more prideful or more haughty you become the further you will be able to fall.
- Stay humble. There is a great parable about this in Luke 14:7-11 6/13/18
Proverbs 16:25 "There is a way that seems right to a man, but its end is the way to death."
- "Just because you think something is right, doesn't mean it is. You should consult the Bible or other believers." ~submitted by a 12th grader. 2/29/12
Proverbs 17:2 ~ "A servant who deals wisely will rule over a son who acts shamefully and will share the inheritance as one of the brothers."
- People respect wisdom and hard work.
- Even if you find yourself in a low place, have the courage to continue to work hard and show wisdom.
- Just go read Joseph's story in Genesis chapters 37, 39-41. 7/17/18
Proverbs 17:10 ~ "A rebuke goes deeper into a man of understanding than a hundred blows into a fool."
- My dad always had a good saying when we were growing up, "If you're going to be dumb, you're going to have to be tough."
- Well here you go.
- No matter how smart, wise or dumb we are, we will make mistakes.
- How we respond makes a huge difference.
- Choose to be a man of understanding and learn from criticism, OR be a fool and get ready to catch a beating. 8/17/18
Proverbs 17:17 ~ "A friend loves at all times, and a brother is born for adversity."
- Are you a friend and a brother?
- Know what your are signing up for when you become somebody's "friend."
- It should be more than a bunch of words. 6/15/18
Proverbs 17:22 ~ "A joyful heart is good medicine, but a crushed spirit dries up the bones."
- Don't allow your circumstances to determine your demeanor.
- You're God's, and He has a plan for you and your circumstances... Trust Him. 6/6/18
Proverbs 18:2 ~ "A fool takes no pleasure in understanding, but only in expressing his opinion."
- Don't be a Fool! 6/18/18
Proverbs 18:6 ~ "A fool's lips walk into a fight, and his mouth invites a beating.
- It is a dangerous thing to be a fool.
- But, it's even more dangerous to be a talking fool.
- Silence can save you a lot of trouble. 7/18/18
Proverbs 18:9 ~ "Whoever is slack in his work is a brother to him who destroys."
- There are so many people who don't realize that slacking at work is wrong.
- If you are getting paid to do something, they hired you because of YOUR skills.
- If you aren't using your skills and you abilities you are closely related to a person who actively destroys things.
- Slackers are passively destructive, and in a sneaky way that could be worse than outright destruction. 8/18/18
Proverbs 19:11 ~ "Good sense makes one slow to anger, and it is his glory to overlook an offense."
- Don't look up to the hot head.
- Righteous anger is one thing, but understand there are not many righteous people available to use it. 6/19/18
Proverbs 19:14 ~ "House and wealth are inherited from fathers, but a prudent wife is from the Lord."
- A wife will make or break a husband and family.
- One who practices prudence is a true blessing.
- She is a gift from God to work along with you to accomplish His purposes. 8/19/18
Proverbs 19:17 ~ "Whoever is generous to the poor lends to the Lord, and he will repay him for his deed."
- Throughout the Bible there is a common thread that gives us a mission and instruction, but we miss it a lot of times.
- We are told to care for the poor (Pro 14:21), the widow (Deut. 24:17), the orphan (Deut. 24:17), and the oppressed (Psalms 146:7), but how often are we actually doing it?
- If God is doing these things, how much more should we be doing them? 7/19/18
Proverbs 20:1 ~ "Wine is a mocker, strong drink a brawler, and whoever is led astray by it is not wise."
- We should never let anything lead us or have control over our lives.
- Only God should be in that spot.
- Whether it's drugs, alcohol, tobacco, food, or any other material thing, none of them should have dominance in our lives. 6/20/18
Proverbs 20:4 ~ "The sluggard does not plow in the autumn; he will seek at harvest and have nothing."
- Often, we expect to show up, and get what we want, when we want it.
- But, we don't get things simply because we want them.
- Work is required. If you aren't working toward your goal(s) don't be surprised or upset when they aren't achieved. 8/20/18
Proverbs 20:11 ~ "Even a child makes himself known by his acts, by whether his conduct is pure and upright."
- We all know when a "bad" child is coming our way and we cringe when they head our direction.
- If children are known by their actions at such an early age, how much more are we as adults labeled by our actions?
- And, if I am to be labeled by my actions, do those actions represent Jesus Christ, or my sin nature? 7/20/18
Proverbs 21:3 ~ "To do righteousness and justice is more acceptable to the Lord than sacrifice."
- Doing this little things on a consistent basis tells where your heart is.
- All of us a willing to make the BIG sacrifices when it will be seen by others, but don't neglect the small unseen things.
- Don't neglect doing the things that will never be known by other people, but only by God.
- He is who we are trying to please. 6/21/18
Proverbs 21:5 ~ "The plans of the diligent lead surely to abundance, but everyone who is hasty comes only to poverty."
- I am guilty of this school of thought.
- "Just go fast, correct yourself along the way, and get something done."
- As you can imagine, this leads to extra problems quite often. 7/21/18
Proverbs 21:13 ~ "Whoever closes his ear to the cry of the poor will himself call out and not be answered."
- We are not called out by God in order to live comfortably.
- We are definitely not called by God to ignore the poor.
- There is verse after verse in the Bible telling God's people to care for the poor. 8/21/18
Proverbs 22:1 ~ "A good name is to be chosen rather than great riches, and favor is better than silver or gold."
- Don't sacrifice your name and reputation for wealth or riches.
- When we give up our reputation for money we also drag God's name and the reputation of the church through the mud with us. 6/22/18
Proverbs 22:4 ~ "The reward for humility and fear of the Lord is riches and honor and life."
- How many times does God have to remind us that we need to be humble?
- At the root of any sin is pride... it's dangerous. 7/22/18
Proverbs 22:6 ~ "Train up a child in the way he should go; even when he is old he will not depart from it."
- The thing is, you are either actively training your child to be godly or hoping they'll figure it out on their own.
- Sure, our children could come to God on their own when they're teenagers, young adults or maybe even late in life.
- But, with God telling us to go tell the world about Him, why would we not start with our children?
- My children may not follow God, but it will not be because I failed to teach and show them The Way. 5/30/18
Proverbs 22:7 ~ "The rich rules over the poor, and the borrower is the slave of the lender."
- When you are in debt to somebody, you have given them power over you.
- You sign up for them to have the ability to take things from you if you don't make payments on time etc.
- But, more importantly, you don't have the freedom to follow God's plan when you commit yourself to debt. 8/22/18
Proverbs 23:4 ~ "Do not toil to acquire wealth; be discerning enough to desist."
- The very next verse explains the trouble with striving to acquire wealth.
- It sprouts wings and flies away.
- Pour yourself into something more lasting. Toil to acquire things that are eternal. 7/23/18
Proverbs 23:7 ~ "for he is like one who is inwardly calculating. “Eat and drink!” he says to you, but his heart is not with you."
- Not only should we focus and work to not take from a stingy person, but we should not be a stingy person.
- Give freely from those things that God has given to us.
- And do it without a bad attitude. 6/5/18
Proverbs 23:17 ~ "Let not your heart envy sinners, but continue in the fear of the Lord all the day."
- Don't be distracted or disheartened by seeing people thrive in the midst of their sin.
- Pray for them and return your focus on God. 6/23/18
Proverbs 23:22 ~ "Listen to your father who gave you life, and do not despise your mother when she is old."
- Your parents, guardians or whoever contributed to raising you are worthy of you respect.
- They will not be right every time, but even then they have earned the right to be heard and considered.
- Take care of them when they are old. 8/23/18
Proverbs 24:1 ~ "Be not envious of evil men, nor desire to be with them"
- Not matter how great their life looks, don't fall for the trap.
- You are called to be holy as God is holy.
- Stay focused on what matters... HIM. 7/24/18
Proverbs 24:5 ~ "A wise man is full of strength, and a man of knowledge enhances his might"
- Physical strength is not necessarily a bad thing, and it can be an even greater asset when coupled with wisdom.
- This can be applied to almost any attribute you have.
- Your attribute is greater with wisdom. 8/24/18
Proverbs 24:17-18 ~ "Do not rejoice when your enemy falls, and let not your heart be glad when he stumbles, lest the Lord see it and be displeased, and turn away his anger from him."
- Although it is tempting to take pleasure in the demise of our enemies, we should not.
- Not because our enemy doesn't deserve it, but because our focus and energy needs to be on God not men. 6/24/18
Proverbs 25:7 ~ "for it is better to be told, “Come up here,” than to be put lower in the presence of a noble."
- Don't rush to assume that you are the one being honored, or given the promotion.
- Wait, for the person in charge to make it known.
- It would be much better for everyone to see you humbly waiting to be acknowledged than for you to jump the gun and then be told it is somebody else. 6/25/18
Proverbs 25:14 ~ "Like clouds and wind without rain is a man who boasts of a gift he does not give."
- Arrogance, boasting, and pride all will lead you into major problems.
- Sure, being humble may make take longer and require more work to achieve your goals, but you'll never over commit yourself.
- The fall from not being able to come through is a lot further than the humble's fall. 8/25/18
Proverbs 25:27 ~ "It is not good to eat much honey, nor is it glorious to seek one's own glory"
- It never fails, at least once a school year a new student will arrive, and proceed to make sure that I know just how good he was at a sport at his previous school.
- Two things I learned fairly quickly is: 1-The farther the student moved, the better he was and 2-if they're really that good there's no reason to tell me about it because it will be seen and somebody else will tell me.
- If you're trying to seek your own glory, you are actually hurting yourself.
- It is much better to have somebody else brag on you than for you to brag about yourself. 7/25/18
Proverbs 26:1 ~ "Like snow in summer or rain in harvest, so honor is not fitting for a fool."
- A fool in a place of honor, or a position of authority is a dangerous thing.
- The same way snow in summer would destroy crops, or rain happening during the harvest time could ruin the harvest.
- And, it doesn't simply affect a small group, it affects the entire area under snow, rain... or a fool. 6/26/18
Proverbs 26:8 ~ "Like one who binds the stone in the sling is one who gives honor to a fool."
- Tying a rock to a sling completely ruins the purpose of the sling.
- Instead of a sling, you now have pebble on a rope... hope you can get close enough to use it.
- In the same way, you ruin the honor by giving it to an unworthy fool. 8/26/18
Proverbs 26:12 ~ "Do you see a man who is wise in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him."
- A wise man realizes how much he can learn from others.
- Wise men became wise because they learned from others without having to experience everything for themselves. 7/26/18
Proverbs 27:1 ~ "Do not boast about tomorrow, for you do not know what a day may bring."
- I am so guilty of this. Even over the last few days and weeks.
- I don't believe this is saying not to plan ahead, but more of not putting your hope in tomorrow.
- We have today to serve God, don't let today slip by while you're thinking about tomorrow. 6/27/18
Proverbs 27:2 ~ "Let another praise you, and not your own mouth; a stranger, and not your own lips."
- It is always better to let others tell how good you are at something.
- If you're really that good or impressive at something, other people will brag on you and you won't have to do it yourself. 8/27/18
Proverbs 27:6 ~ "Faithful are the wounds of a friend, profuse are the kisses of an enemy."
- Always consider the source! 7/27/18
Proverbs 27:17 ~ "Iron sharpens iron, and one man sharpens another."
- Are you helping to sharpen other Christians, or are you actually dulling their blade? 6/4/18
Proverbs 28:1 ~ "The wicked flee when no one pursues, but the righteous are bold as a lion."
- Are you paranoid? Is the world out to get you?
- Is it because you know what you have done to others and you're afraid they are going to do the same to you?
- The righteous have no reason to fear, and can walk confidently nothing from their past is coming to get them. 8/28/18
Proverbs 28:6 ~ "Better is a poor man who walks in his integrity than a rich man who is crooked in his ways."
- It's easy to allow circumstances, especially financial problems become the lens we see through.
- Don't. Regardless of how much or little you make, remember that you belong to God, therefore keep your integrity and never sacrifice it. 6/28/18
Proverbs 28:13 ~ "Whoever conceals his transgressions will not prosper, but he who confesses and forsakes them will obtain mercy."
- There are so many reasons not to hide, conceal or avoid our mistakes, and yet we still do it all the time.
- Now, we love to see and critique others's errors, but not our own. 6/10/18
Proverbs 28:23 ~ "Whoever rebukes a man will afterward find more favor than he who flatters with his tongue."
- Honesty, even when it's hard, is better for everyone involved in the long run. 7/28/18
Proverbs 29:1 ~ "He who is often reproved, yet stiffens his neck, will suddenly be broken beyond healing."
- There is redemption in correction. It points out our sinful ways and we can turn from them.
- But, there must be a turning away or repentance from the offense.
- To refuse to to change or accept correction is to set yourself up for a long, hard life, OR, as this verse says, TO BE BROKEN.
- Take the correction with humility, don't reject it in arrogance. 6/29/18
Proverbs 29:9 ~ "If a wise man has an argument with a fool, the fool only rages and laughs, and there is no quiet."
- You have to know when your argument is futile and shouldn't even be a concern for you.
- If you can't tell when there is no hope of a consensus being reached, both of you might be fools arguing with each other. 7/29/18
Proverbs 30:5 ~ "Every word of God proves true; he is a shield to those who take refuge in him."
- We can trust God. In everything, every way, and every word...
- Every Day. 6/3/18
Proverbs 30:8 ~ "Remove far from me falsehood and lying; give me neither poverty nor riches; feed me with the food that is needful for me"
- I'm still learning to pray scripture, but this is definitely one I should pray daily. 6/30/2018
Proverbs 30:8-9 ~ "8 Remove far from me falsehood and lying; give me neither poverty nor riches; feed me with the food that is needful for me, 9 lest I be full and deny you and say, “Who is the Lord?” or lest I be poor and steal and profane the name of my God."
- We are more likely to be consumed by our circumstances when they are to either extreme.
- Whether it's extremely "bad" or extremely "good."
- I would argue that we forget about God more when things are going extremely "good," which in reality is very bad. 7/30/18
Proverbs 31:9 ~ "Open your mouth, judge righteously, defend the rights of the poor and needy."
- secure the rights of ones who can't help themselves, nor can they offer anything in return to you.
- Do it simply because it is the right thing to do.
- What would be a better reason than that? 7/31/18
Proverbs 31:10 ~ "An excellent wife who can find? She is far more precious than jewels."
- Guys, speaking from personal experience, finding a wife who loves God more than you is amazing.
- She isn't basing her happiness in me, but in God, which is such a burden lifted from me. Not to mention a burden that I can't come close to fulfilling.
- Once you find an excellent wife, go above and beyond to gain her approval, and never stop treating her like Jesus treats you. 6/1/18
Old Testament Books
New Testament Books