Let's Continue through the ten commandments
How many have you broken?
3. Have you ever committed adultery? (Exodus 20:14)
- Now, you're probably slightly relieved, and think you're safe here.
- But, to look at someone with lust is to commit adultery in your heart. (Matt. 5:27-28)
- If you answered, "yes," what does that make you?
4. Have you ever dishonored your parents? (Exodus 20:12)
- If you've ever disobeyed your parents then this is an easy yes for you. (Romans 1:30)
5. Have you ever coveted something that wasn't yours? (Exodus 20:17)
- Wanted something or maybe some title that didn't belong to you and really didn't care how you obtained it. (Mark 7:21-23)
6. Have you ever murdered somebody? (Exodus 20:13)
- Well if you've ever hated somebody then you have committed murder in your heart.
- 1 John 3:15 "Everyone who hates his brother is a murderer, and you know that no murderer has eternal life abiding in him" (see also 1 John 2:9 and 11)
7. Do you keep the Sabbath? (Exodus 20:8)
- One day of the week dedicated to God, with no work for you, your family, or people who work for you? (Hebrews 4:9)
8. Have you ever taken God's name in vain? (Exodus 20:7)
- This is actually replacing God's name (The God who gave you breath) with a swear word. (Psalm 139:20)
9. Have you ever worshiped something God created, over Him, The Creator? (Exodus 20:4-6)
- (Colossians 3:5-6)
10. Have you ever put another god ahead of God? (Exodus 20:3)
- This is the biggest and all encompassing commandment.
- If you have answered yes to any question before this, then you have put something (most likely yourself) above God.
- Matthew 22:37-38 "And he said to him, “You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind. 38 This is the great and first commandment."